Monday, January 23, 2012

This is as close as I'll get to "Tebowing"




To be honest, I'm not sure what to make of Tim Tebow.

First of all, I think he is 100% genuine and real in his faith, and I hope he succeeds greatly. But he's a little too happy, "sunshine and rainbows" to me. This is a minor quibble, and I've found myself rooting for him after all.

The difficult thing for me is that his escapades have made me call into question a belief I've long held about sports- should we pray for victory for 'our' sports team?

I'll come back to that in a minute. In the meantime, Tim Tebow as a person is worth looking at.
Last week, I was talking about "Viral" Christianity, and mentioned there was a person who was about as Viral as a Christian can get these days. That person, is Tim Tebow. He's got over a million followers on Twitter; when he tweets, they spread like wildfire; was recently named by ESPN as America's most popular athlete; he started the phenomenon of 'tebowing' (unintentionally); thanks to him, John 3:16 was a top search result a few weeks back; and everywhere you turn someone is writing an article about the boy.

Or, they are trying to tear him down.

Wanda Sykes ripped into him on Jay Leno. Saturday Night Live had Jesus telling him to "tone it down" a bit. SNL was kinda funny- Sykes came off as bitter. His fellow athletes either respect him, hate him, or just don't know what to do with- but they can't stop talking about him.

If this were Terrell Owens, or Deion Sanders back in his heyday (yep, dating myself- he is fact the football fairy on those DirecTV ads. Not so much a star these days)- then I'd chalk it up to shameless self promotion. But Tebow seems honestly humble, and somewhat surprised by all the hubbub. Even if his handlers are master marketers, he's coming off as a nice guy, who is sincere in his faith. He stands for what he believes, he respects others of differing opinions, and he seems to have a heart to serve others.

So it was that I found myself slowly starting to watch the Broncos and hoping for a win. Apparently, a lot of speculators began wondering if God was in fact fighting for Tebow and his team. I've always thought it ridiculous (and a little bit offensive) that some people thought God cared at all about sports. They are nothing when compared to the suffering and plights of so many. If God chose to pick favorites with a sports team and let people continue to go hungry, then I'd have a problem with God.

Then, as the showdown with the Patriots last week loomed, something dawned on me. A seminary professor once imparted this wisdom on me- "God meets people where they are." He said that the Old Testament is full of God being warlike- sending Israel to fight and kill and destroy their enemies, seemingly under not just God's blessing, but His power. The reason: the people of that time assumed that the most powerful army had the most powerful god. You win a battle, your god is better than the other guys. And people would see this and seek the winning god. God killing and destroying seems the antithesis of a loving God we want to talk about today, but really, His warlike nature was an extension of His love. He was trying to win people by speaking their language. Fluently.

We know longer think that the biggest army has the biggest god. Wars don't change the religion of people. OK, well in some places yes, but its because the new government forces a change, not because people choose it. But in America, Sunday afternoons are the modern day equivalent of Jericho, Megiddo and all the Old Testament battlefields.

Suddenly, I wondered: What if God is using Tim Tebow to win the hearts of a nation by granting (or allowing) miraculous victories? Would it be wrong for us to pray for the victory of a man and his team if that victory results in more people hearing of Christ, seeking out a Bible verse, or maybe, just maybe, starting to think Tebow is blessed and used by God and that God is real?

I know what you're thinking, that lots of people say that "God likes Tebow" and it's sarcasm. Yep, that's right. But when Yahoo and Google and all sorts of search engines show that John 3:16 is trending because Tim Tebow threw for 316 yards, averaging 31.6 yards a pass- oh and John 3:16 is his favorite verse- well, it's hard to deny God is using Tebow to get His Word out.

I'll admit, the yardage and passing average thing is kinda cheesy- but then, who am I to question how God does things?

In the end, I don't think I'll make it a habit of praying for my team to have victory every time. But, if I know that the message of Christ will not only be spoken of, but in some small way even validated, by the victories of a team, then, yeah, I'm gonna pray for that.

I think Tebow is a good guy- I wish him well, and that he stands firm in his faith. But I caution, and I think he would as well, don't idolize him. Don't deify him. He is not God, nor is he the Second Coming. He's a football player. He is a Christian. He will fail, he will mess up, he will sin. When that happens, let us pray for him, and not drop him as a "fine, young Christian role model."

But please, please, don't let him do another Denver Mattress commercial.


No comments: