Monday, May 2, 2011

My Thoughts on Bin Laden

I really thought I'd react differently.

For almost ten years now, I've wanted Osama Bin Laden to be brought to justice. Like most Americans, I viewed him as an enemy, a threat to our lives and our philosophies. At times I'd go so far to say that I had a desire for his death to be particularly awful. He was responsible for the deaths of thousands- either by his own hand or by the commands he gave. He killed Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindis, Atheists. He killed Americans, Europeans, Middle Easterners, Asians, Africans and countless other nationalities. He was as close to monster as a human can get. In many ways, he and Saddam Hussein were our generation's Hitler.

I am glad our soldiers and our government finally got him. In a way, I am glad he is dead. But as I watched the news conferences last night, and the video of Americans reacting, I was not overjoyed, I was not exuberant. I was sad. I was conflicted.

For the families of the victims of 9-11, and before that all the terrorist acts this man committed, I was happy. They got human justice- a violent man died violently. For our troops that have fought this war for nearly a decade, I was proud. For our nation that was seeking closure of a long gaping wound, I was satisfied.

But something was bothering me.

A man was dead. Though I don't know what his final spiritual condition was, unless there was a last gasp of repentance that we'll never know of, I feel pretty sure Bin Laden is in Hell. This is what was giving me pause at first. Then there were the jubilant celebrations by Americans. Then, a verse of Scripture surfaced in my mind.

“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous." --Matthew 5:43-45

But for Grace, I'd be a Monster, Too
Over the years, my understanding of sin has changed. I've realized more and more my own depravity, my own penchant for doing terrible things. I've not mass murdered anyone, or stolen anything tangible, but I have done things that hurt others. Harsh words, painful actions, and stolen trust. I can be selfish and cruel. I am, by these deeds and more, worthy of Hell. But, I've met Jesus, and I've given my life to Him by accepting His Grace- His Sacrifice in my place. From what we know, Osama Bin Laden never did that. If he didn't, then he is in Hell for rejecting Christ- a rejection that I believe is the root of all the rest of his sinful (and ours as well) actions. A man, doer of evil that he was, is in Hell. A man created by God will suffer for eternity for his choices- and they were his CHOICES. I cannot gloat over this. I am no different from Bin Laden, from Hussein, from Hitler. My sins deserve the harshest punishment. But my choice to accept Christ rescued me from Hell. I did nothing to deserve this and everything to deserve Hell. So I cannot gloat over Bin Laden's eternal fate.

Hypocrisy
Every time Americans die and we see scenes of jubilant crowds of radicals chanting and laughing and cheering 'Victory!' I get pissed off. They spit on the graves of brave men and women who fought hard for what they believed, they dishonor people I esteem as noble. Yet, when we hear of the death of their leader, we cheer and spit upon HIS grave. I was upset by those images much the same way I was upset by the images of the terrorist radicals celebrating. I felt that many of us are angered over seeing our enemies doing the same thing were doing our own happy dance over this. Are celebrations justified? Absolutely. But we must be better than that. I see celebrations like the one the mother of a victim of 9-11 had this morning. She was pleased, thankful, and content- but she was respectful. I saw two gentlemen who lost family and friends in the Towers that day. They were glad he was dead, but somber in their expression of it. I agree with the words of President Obama- "Justice is served." In our human eyes, yes this is true. Bin Laden is in the hands of God's Justice now. Let us be the better people. Let us be respectful.

Praying for the Enemy
I can recall a handful of times that I prayed for the salvation of Osama Bin Laden. To me, the greatest justice possible would be for him to find the errors of his ways and turn to Christ- then accept the punishment due him in this life. Jesus told us to love our enemies and pray for those who persecute us. Then He lived that out when He said from the Cross- "Father, forgive them for they know not what they do." I pray today for the thousands (or more) followers of Bin Laden. They too can know Christ- it is not impossible for God (Matthew 19:26). Make no mistake, these people are our enemies. They despise our culture, hate our Savior, and want many of us dead. Should we then debase ourselves to their level and wish them dead? Or should we rise above that fray, live the example of Christ, and hope for their rescue from a life that leads to Hell?

I cannot tell you what to feel or believe or do in light of this event. I can only share with you my struggle, my view of this historic happening. I am glad for the victims of Bin Laden, for our country, for our armed forces, and for the world that a man who did such evil is gone. Yet I am broken over the fact that Hell awaits all who reject Jesus- be they your neighbor the banker or Bin Laden the terrorist.

With that, I ask that you seek to see this as God sees it. That you soberly look at the reality of our choices. Yes, he deserves to rot in Hell.

But so do I.

My sin made Jesus' death necessary. I am guilty.

But by His blood, I am rescued- that makes all the difference.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOAH! I am moved by this post..I have thought the same way, and havent been able to put it in words. That pretty much sums it up. ..I remember the night that the Towers were struck, we gathered for a prayer meeting at my church. I remember myself leading the group in prayer at one point, asking God to forgive this man and all involved and begging for their salvation..I believe, by Romans 1:20 I think, that ALL men, including Bin Laden, have the opportunity to come to Christ and that He reveals Himself to everyone. I am sure that no one asked questions as to his religious status before shooting, but it is POSSIBLE that this choice was made..unlikely..but possible..Thank you for this.

Chad Lehrmann said...

It's the heart of Christ that we move toward forgiveness quickly, yet the heart of man is resistant.
Thanks for the comment!