Thursday, August 6, 2009

Car Songs

I admit, I am not a big fan of kids' songs. I know, no adults are, but I don't even like church kids' songs. They are overly cutesy, and never have any hope of being heard outside the kid's class. So I love the fact that VeggieTales do actual worship songs on some of their CDs. My kids are hearing songs we might actually sing in church, like God of Wonders.
But, thats still not good enough for my kids. So I have introduced them to David Crowder and Shane and Shane.
Crowder came first, and they love his Never Let Go (not that one thats done in tons of churches, the other one). They also love the 'We won't be quiet' song. We'll often be asked to put the cd on repeat in the car, and Leslie and Kenna will wail to the songs, as Kristin and I smile with joy. They are easy, fun songs to sing, so they make pretty good kids songs.
Tonight, as we were driving home, Kristin was asked by Leslie to play the Rack, Shack, and Benny Song. I didn't think we had the VeggieTales CD, but Kristin pulled out Shane and Shane's Pages album. They wanted to sing Burn Us Up- the story of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego. There is definitely some loud and fun singing to be done there, but what warms my heart is that both girls would sing the chorus, which is basically a call for us to be willing to die for God's glory. Yeah, they probably don't get it yet, but its never to early for them to start to learn what the call of Christ is all about.

No comments: