Monday, June 29, 2009

Self Control

I recently had coffee with a gentleman to discuss ministry stuff. Now if you know me, you know I'm kind of an animated person, and when I get large amounts of sugar, I tend to have problems toning down said animation.
I accidentally ordered an espresso.
I made it through the really great discussion, but near the end, my leg began to twitch, and I knew my self control was at an end. I got home to Kristin and proceeded to let out the pent up energy with a rapid stream of conversation.
Self Control is something we all struggle with. Some folks have a problem with food, shopping, saying things they shouldn't, etc. But the truth is, everyone one of is fighting a war within ourselves against fear, anger, lust, and greed on one side, and hope, love, and compassion on the other. The only way to win, is gain self control. We have to decide who gets to run our life- our flesh, or the Spirit. Our self control is tied to who we want to be our master. And unfortunately, its a never ending battle. I wish we could total victory over sin, but temptation will always arise, and we will always have to choose. Sometimes we will choose self control, many times we won't.
But praise be to God, that He is gracious, and forgiving, and He loves us in spite of us being ourselves.

No comments: