Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Greed

When I was in High School, I had this plan. I would be rich, have a huge home, an SUV and a sports car, and would make so much money a year I could buy what I wanted. It sounded like the American Dream come true back then. Now I see it as greed.
I see greed in many of my actions- always desiring more money and never having 'enough.' I feel the pull to have the newest thing. Maybe that sounds like materialism to you, and I agree, but materialism is just a type of greed. I think its OK to have and want stuff, but when it controls us, and consumes our thoughts, then its greed. I believe greed and lust are very closely related in their 'never satisfied' mentality.
I am very glad our kids are not consumed with the greed of needing everything they see on TV, although they do ask for it occasionally. And Kenna points at everything and says "We have that!" even if we don't. But greed does show up, like right now, behind me I hear Kenna saying, "I had that first!" and Leslie responding "Mommy! Kenna is not sharing." Kids want stuff to be theirs, and so do we.
And I want to also challenge you to think about what it means to be a greedy church. Your church can spend millions on a building, but can't keep open a food pantry. Your church wants more people to come and join you, but you rarely hear the call for them to come to Christ. Greedy churches are churches that want to feed themselves, not serve the Kingdom.

2 comments:

Taylor said...

Very interesting. I have not thought about *a* church being greedy, but it does make sense. Do you think this is because we consistently choose to make decisions based on what we think is best rather than opening the Bible and using His principles to guide us? As I read more blogs and various Christian literature I find that much of Christendom does not turn to the Bible for answers or direction. This is very saddening to me.

Chris said...

this was the idea behind the catholic nuns, they are supposed to represent the lowest class of people willing to serve others. It is a philosophy that seems nearly lost in protestant faiths.