Monday, February 20, 2012

What Really Matters

It's hard to see the forest for the trees, the light for the darkness, or the hope for the pessimism.

Things get muddled. Things get messy. It's just life. And sometimes, life sucks.

Yeah, I know "pastors" shouldn't say that, but "pastors" are people. And we say "sucks" just like Paul said "garbage" in Philippians 3:8 (hint, the word he used was closer to the other "s" word than we might be comfortable with than it was trash), because life is messy, and we get hurt, too.

And just like that- I've lost my sight of what I needed to talk about.

See how easy it is? We let our minds run rampant and we see all the junk we need to look past, and only see that. We see our problems, our enemies, our junk- and we can't see what we need to to live.

We (read: I) spend a good portion of my life looking at what I don't have or what I wish I had. I'm not just talking about that Black Camaro I'd love, I'm talking jobs I wish I had, money I wish I had, time I wish I had, friends who I wish were closer geographically, friends I wish were closer generally. It makes one miserable and lends often to the "Life sucks" bumper sticker theology i struggle with of late.

And it's stupid because it's not what really matters.

So, what does matter? What makes this life joyous, fulfilling- life giving? I'm no Curly from City Slickers, so I can't give you the "Just One Thing" speech as I squint into the sun under my dirty cowboy hat with a cigarette perched perilously from my lips. Mostly because I think there is more than just ONE thing- but also because cigarette smoke makes me choke.

I do agree that it's what you have to figure out for yourself. For me, I could give the church answer that for me it's Jesus- but that would be slightly dishonest. I love Jesus, and He does matter the most to me, but in my devotion to Him I've come to see the other things that matter- as a part of my relationship to Him.

My wife matters because I love spending time with her. She is my balance when I tilt too far, my voice of hope when my mind gets too dreary. She loves me, and is truly a helpmate for me. She hurts when I hurt, laughs when I laugh and celebrates when I see victory. She reminds me of how Christ loves and forgives when we don't deserve. She is gracious and compassionate, and it rubs off on me.

My kids matter in ways that are hard to express. Leslie and Kenna bring such joy to my life, and I long for good, quality time with them (and their mother). Not just time spent with them, but time spent loving on them, cheering them on in gymnastics or the little art project they decided to do. Time spent listening to their giggles, and their surprisingly sophisticated humor. Time spent watching Phineas and Ferb. They give me but a glimpse of what God must feel when He looks at us- Hope and joy, mixed when anticipation of what will come.

The rest of my family matters to me- especially my mother and mother-in-law. They are two ladies who show so much strength and resilience, they inspire me. Their insight and wisdom often guides me, even when they don't know it.

Sunsets matter, because they are beauty before the dark. Reminders of glory we've not yet known fully.

Good music matters. Doesn't matter if it is Crowder or Kansas, a hymn or a rock anthem. If it speaks to you, it makes a difference.

Good stories matter because they often hide a bit of deeper Truth. Movies or books, TV Shows or Comic Books take us another place, yet often point us to something God is saying. At least, they do for me.

Moments of peace matter more than I can relate. They are too fleeting, and too few, but those seconds of respite are glimpses of hope.

When life sucks, these are the things I must remind myself to think of. And when I think of them, I must also remember that they are all gifts of God. God is the Father of pleasure, and I fine pleasure in the things that matter. As James 1:17 says:

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.

So ultimately all things things matter. Not in some divided loyalty kind of way, but in a "these things matter because God placed them in my life." When I give my heart to Him, I am able to enjoy these things all the more.

And the forests of fears, the darkness of doubt, and the plumes of pessimism disappear in light of Him who matters most.

No comments: