Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Attack of the Killer Thanksgiving Turkey




I was meeting with Andy- a young man from our church- yesterday, and after discussion over the scripture we were reading, Andy asked me a potent question:

"Why is the church OK with Thanksgiving?"

At first, I wasn't really sure there was anything 'wrong' with Thanksgiving. But Andy continued explaining his question, until finally, he arrived at this analogy (paraphrased):

"So, someone from church invites everyone over to Thanksgiving dinner, where we all over eat, and no one has a problem with it. But what if I announced that after the dinner, everyone come over to my house and we'll have a kegger?"

I've been meeting with Andy for a while now, and have come to learn he asks good questions that catch me off guard. This is a good thing.

What I think Andy is getting at is that Thanksgiving has little to do with giving thanks and lots to do with gluttony. And why would we as Christians be OK with overeating, but violently opposed to drunkenness? Really, it's the same kind of sin, just with a different ingredient. And both are Biblical called out as sin.

Thanksgiving is under attack by a giant, Killer Turkey.

Maybe this is just me, but when was the last time you actually "gave thanks" on Thanksgiving- aside of course from an obligatory prayer before chowing down on that awesome poultry and stuffing? Andy's problem with Thanksgiving is more that it's not about thanks- it's about gluttony. And we the Church promote it by not calling it out. And by not being actually thankful. We must fight back against the monster Turkey in the room.

So first- don't overeat. Put down the turkey leg and walk away. It is the same as getting drunk, having an affair, or killing someone. All sins being equal, as I believe they are. Enjoy your turkey, but in moderation. It will be hard for me, too.

Now, no one wants to be the guy who pulls the old "Everybody say something they're thankful for" shtick at dinner Thursday. I know I don't. So, instead of being that guy- or girl- start now. Yeah, I know people on Facebook are doing the "Today I'm thankful for..." thing, which is good, but I'm not persistent enough with that sort of stuff. After about a week, I'd just be trying to figure out what to post, and would have lost the point by that time. It'd just be a routine, not real, for me.

Here's my plan: I will post a few things I'm thankful for now on this blog. You can share yours in the comments section or at the Facebook link that sent you here. And as you sit Thursday, enjoying your turkey and dressing, maybe you'll think about the things you posted.

And be thankful.

Thus thwarting the Attack of the Killer Thanksgiving Turkey for another year. But watch out for the Attack of the Giant Stack of Presents Under the Christmas Tree.

What I'm thankful for (in no particular order):

1. My wife, Kristin. She seriously puts up with a lot from me, and not just cheesy jokes. Plus she is an amazing mother to our kids, and a true blessing to me.
2. Speaking of them- Leslie and Kenna, our kids. They always make me smile, and beam with pride. They are pretty good kids, and good enough other people see it. They are smart and talented- in different ways. And sometimes they listen to what I say.
3. That A&M is bowl eligible before we play Texas. That could have ended badly.
4. That my Mom and Mother-in-law get along super well. Sometimes a little too well, and they gang up on Kristin and I. But they are also great people and we love them dearly for all they do for us.
5. That our church the Gate has some awesome people really maturing in their faith. They are leading out and speaking up, and it is cool to watch it happen.
6. The Amazon wishlist. Makes shopping so much easier.
7. God's unending pursuit of me. Even when I'm not looking, He shows up and scare the heck out me. But it also reminds me that He loves me jealously.
8. How He Loves- any version, by any artist. Enough said.
9. Lost, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, Supernatural, Friends, Lord of the Rings, A Time to Kill and any other movie or TV show that inspires me and- totally inadvertently- has a tendency to speak God's truth to me. So glad God uses things like this to talk to me.
10. For the rest of the people in my life who did not get name dropped, but still inspire and challenge me with tough questions, and relationships that are more than just acquaintances.

No comments: