Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Desperate Revolution

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation."
- Henry David Thoreau

If revolution is birthed in belief, then it is most certainly conceived in desperation. Thoreau was, whether he realized it or not, conceiving a revolution that is alive and kicking today. So many people are resigned to a life that is less than what they expected it would be. Dreams they held on to as they entered college and even the post-college world have disappeared. To paraphrase a Caedman's Call song, the optimism of our youth is dead and gone.

What happened? Did we get bogged down in the intricasies of adulthood- the responsibilities that we failed to see in all our dreaming? Did we get told 'No!' by our elders enough that we started to believe we couldn't change the world? Or did the dream just prove to be too grand to become reality?

Maybe all, maybe something else entirely. But the simple truth is, there are a lot of people I know that look at life and think, "This is not what I expected, and it's too late to change that now." They are resigned to life as they know it. Yet they are desperate to really live. It is in this desperation for renewed vigor, new chances to reclaim old glories, that revolutions are conceived.

But not all revolutions are for the best.

A mid-life crisis that sees you ditching your marriage, or going into debt to own that ridiculously cool sports car is not the kind of revolution we should want. A revolution that is not thought out and leads to you quitting a job with no other way to provide for the family is not advised either- unless of course God is telling you to do it. And He better be REAL clear on that.

I have reached a point of quiet desperation that lead to a revolution. Actually, there have been several. Most recently, I have become desperate to matter. I don't want to be just another cog in the wheel of the world- I want to make a difference. I have become desperate to show those around me that there is more to life than just getting a good job and doing the 'right thing' as society defines it. I am desperate to see the college students I serve really live, and never take no for an answer when it comes to what God places on their hearts.

I was once an idealistic young minister. I thought I could change the town I served. I was told, blatantly and implicitly, that that would never happen. Repeatedly. I was told that most ministers do their duty and never make a wave beyond a small group of people. I was told that this was a great work, for ministers to make a small impact.

I resigned myself to quiet desperation that I would never make a large impact- despite my dreams to the contrary. I lived in this state for many years and through two ministry fields. But one day, my desperation to reach a people that could still change things was birthed into a revolution. I realized that the people with the most desire, the most passion to change things were those whose optimism had not been assaulted by 'wisdom' from their elders to the point of exhaustion. They still held fast to hope, they still expected things.

My revolution would be dressed in a non-tradtional church, it would meet in a bar, it would be young. But at it's heart would be this thought: "God is bigger than our doubts, fears, and cynicism." My revolution was that the young adults who knew Christ could and should lead and guide their church while they still had optimism. Rather than waiting until they were 'old enough,' they would lead now. Their energy and excitement would be harnassed and encouraged.

It hasn't been easy, and we still aren't where my dream of revolution needs to be, but I am seeing a growing collection of Revolutionaries surrounding me. Some are deep in thier faith, others are still young. Some had already been bitten by the cynicism bug, and are fighting to be free of it. But I believe these people I've come to love can CHANGE things.

I believe it because they are changing me. My 'quiet desperation' has conceived a belief, a faith in Christ deeper than any time in my since I was in college- not unlike those Revolutionaries I know. It is only a matter of time until we give birth to a Revolution that changes those closest to us- and God willing, the city we live in.

This is why we are left on this Earth after being rescued by Jesus. Not to give in to 'quiet desperation' and acceptance that life just isn't getting any better. No, we are here to be His Revolution- to call those wandering to come back to Him, to find those who are lost, and lead the way for those who are blind.

We are to be the Revolution we are desperate for.

No comments: