Thursday, July 1, 2010

Choosing Destiny

I do still believe there is black and white in the world. I believe God is good and the devil isn't. I believe it's best to love rather than hate. I believe murder is wrong, no matter the culture. I believe taking care of others is good, no matter the circumstances.

But as I get older, I realize there is more gray in this world. And occasionally, the world is technicolor. The ideas of predestination and free will are usually discussed as black and white. They are, to me, at least gray if not technicolor.

I believe God is in total control. I believe I can freely choose, moment by moment, whether or not to show Him love and respect. I don't believe my choice is strong enough to fully divorce myself from God- if I did believe that, I would trust in a God whose salvation is weak and dependant more on me that Him. I do not beleive that God forces Himself on me in such a way that removes my free choice and though process.

Destiny and Choice are involved in a give and take in my view. Destiny gives us choices, and we take the one that we deem best. Sometimes, we choose a destiny that is lesser- I believe that God is ever working for us to once again- or for the first time- find the better destiny.

I believe God can and does sometimes step in when we go too far from His plan. But sometimes He lets us thwart His plan. God may want me to be a cancer curing scientist, but laziness at studying throws a wrench in there. God may want me to be a humble janitor, but my ambition for power leads me to politics.

So it comes to this. We must believe in destiny. That God does have a plan for us, and that it is the best possible plan for us. Since we rarely, if ever, hear God's direct words on our destiny, we must make wise and faithful choices as we pursue His calling toward us. But we do not get even a glimpse of our true destiny until we first trust that there is a God, and He did die for us, and He did rise from the dead so that our lives might have eternity AND meaning in the here and now. Destiny begins with meeting Jesus. It is learned through the choices we make on whether to trust Jesus, or trust someone or something else.

Essentially, we choose destiny. We choose to beleive we were made for more than this. More than paychecks and bills, more that toys and gadgets, more than even friends and family. Our ultimate destiny- whether we follow God or not- is to worship Him. Whether that destiny is to worship for eternity or for a moment before eternal punishment is the choice. Whether we are meeting our destiny here on earth is the many choices we make daily.

Will you choose destiny?

No comments: