Thursday, May 6, 2010

Pursuit

I would say that to be passionate, one must first be inspired. And inspiration can come from lots of things. I for one am often inspired by music, or entertainment. They fire my creative juices and reveal to me a new way of looking at truth. Mountains inspire me, not so much creatively, but they fill me with a passion for life. Something about the crisp mountain air holding a slight chill even in mid-August.

It is not easy to inspire passion. I can be excited by something, intrigued by it, but that does not make me passionate about it. I may be inspired, but something is lacking to ignite that passion that makes we willing to sacrifice, to strive to achieve.

I was thinking the other day just what it was I was really passionate about, what came first from inspiration and over time developed into a pursuit that filled my life. I mean, I like playing disc golf, but the fact that I have played once in six months eliminates it as a passion. Ditto for hiking. I love superhero stuff, and may be a bit obsessed- but not passionate. I have my political opinions, but you won't see me running for office or even protesting whatever it's cool to protest this week.

Finally, I realized that what I'm passionate about is things that make me come alive. Seeing my daughters doing gymnastics with pure joy stretched across their faces. Watching Kristin sing. Seeing my family grow in Christ. I'm passionate about these things, but the thing at the top of the list is that I am passionate about seeing people be set free and become more fully alive.

When I sit down with people, and we discuss spiritual things, struggles and doubts and fears they have, and I see them beginning to try to break free- I smile. I can see that while they don't yet know what exactly they are looking for, they are on the search. And I love that moment when a person gets it. "This is what I've been missing!" I'm passionate about this because...OK, I can't really explain why but I am.

I want to see people woken up, see them come to experience the fullness of life, discover the things they are passionate about.

But I also want to nurture that passion. I want to protect it and feed it, because despite the power of passion it is the most fragile thing. A doubtful word, a negative response, a rejection and it is destroyed. It takes a lot to unveil passion, but very little to crush it. I'd rather a person let me try and fail than tell I can't do it before I've tried. And I never want to be the guy who says you can't do it.

Since it is my passion- I challenge you to find yours. Some of my friends are passionate about music, or international students, or kids, or relationships. Friends- pursue these things. Along the way, tell me how I can help you.

I also challenge you to be helpers. Go alongside the passions of your friends. You need not be passionate about the same thing, but be devoted to your friend. Let us be a passionate people.

No comments: